Monday, June 2, 2014

Rainnnn

Helloooo everyone :) This week went by fast..

 I experienced my first Merida rainstorm, it was NUTS. Many people before the mission told me that it rains like crazy here, and they weren´t even lying..it was strongest rain I´ve ever seen..one member told me it was gonna rain until Monday, the next member told me it would rain until Wednesday, and our ward mission leader told me it´s gonna rain until January..so we´ll just have to see! I bought a great umbrella for like $7 whole dollars, so I´m not even worried about it :) I´ll attach a picture of the streets which were practically flooded after 5 minutes! Ok, not flooded, but there was ALOT of water. 

However, what I really wanted to share this week, was how I felt during that day (Friday, I think...) We had 2 members bail on us (they were gonna teach a couple lessons with us) and three lessons back to back fell through. It´s safe to say the people here don´t like the rain. They all get in their hammocks and are dead to the world until it stops..
So anyway, we´re walking down the flooded street, my skirt is drenched, we had had like 2 lessons that day, our lunch was very small compared to how much we are normally fed, and neither my companion nor I were feeling too enthusiastic..however, I began to think in that moment about the Savior. As I was about to open my mouth and compain about how terrible that day was, the thought came into my head...."Is this ANYTHING in comparison to what the Savior went through? Is this period of adjussting to the food, the language, the everything...anything in comparison?" and I think we all know the answer. When I begin to think about myself, when the natural man in me wants to be selfish, it´s that moment that I must forget myself and focus more on the people that I´m here to help. The savior would turn outward when the natural man would turn inward. As I thought about that, it gave me strength to finish the day. As I knelt down that night to pray, I simply gave thanks to my Father in Heaven. for the rain, for the small serving of food I had, and for the experiences that day that made me stronger, and forced me to rely on the Lord. 
Also, a picture of the beautiful Merida temple! :) That´s all for this week. I love you all! 

Hermana Maki 

No comments:

Post a Comment