Sunday, January 25, 2015

Happy New Year!

Something that I love about Mexico are all of the traditions here :) This week, I learned that the first 12 days of january predict how each month of the year are going to be. January 1st is January, January 2nd is february, and so on. Today, it´s hot and humid (as usual) but cloudy like it might rain. so supposedly May will be like this, who knows! It´s been kind of fun though. I imagine it will rain these next few days, and then maybe on the 11th and 12th, if we´re lucky, it´ll get a little cold, like in the mid 60´s
Also, there´s a tradition here on the 6th of January called "Dia de los reyes magos" (The wise men day) In Mexico, Santa comes on the 24th, just like in the US, but it´s not as big of a deal, and he doesn´t bring much. But just like the wise men brought presents to baby Jesus after he was born, in Mexico the wise men bring presents on the 6th to all of the kids, and for them, it´s way more exciting than Christmas. This week leading up the 6th, everyone buys "roscas" It looks similar to a cake but it´s really just sweet bread, but it has little plastic dolls in it...and if you grab a piece and find a doll in it, on the 2nd of February, you have to make/buy tamales for everyone. So anyway, a sister from our ward had her farewell yesterday, she´s going to chihuahua on her mission, and she invited us over last night to cut the rosca, and I grabbed the piece with the doll! I laughed and took a picture, it was the weirdest thing ever and such a silly tradition, but hilarious and I love it. 

Even though during the week I write down things that I can share in my weekly email, my mind is blank and I´m out of time! Nice and short today, just a couple things I wanted to share :)

Until next week!

Hermana Maki 

P.S. No visits from the skunk this week, thanks for the prayers.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment