Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Teaching the old folks

This past Tuesday, we found a wonderfullll new investigator named Estela. I immediately just fell in love with her! She welcomed us into her home and said she would be willing to listen to our message, let us sit down on her big comfy couch and we got to know her a little bit better. She walks with one of those walkers that have a seat on em so you can sit down when you get tired. I would´ve guessed she was maybe 70 or 75 years old, but then proceeded to tell us that she´s about to turn 90! What?! She has 10 kids, 30 grandkids, and is catholic. The first lesson went well. She didn´t accept a baptismal date, but we left very happy and anxious to teach her again..We went back on Friday morning and that´s when everything just went uphill! she accepted a baptism date, said she wanted to go to church, had been reading in the Book of Mormon, was understanding almost everything perfectly, and wanted to visit again on Saturday. We brought a member along, Hermana Imelda, who is somewhere around 70, I believe. they immediately became friends, and Hermana Imelda was able to pick her up and take her to church yesterday! She stayed all three hours and just loved it. I´m still shocked.. I think it really just added to my testimony that we never ever ever know who will/will not accept the Gospel. Ah I just love her!! Our ward mission leader always teaches the gospel principles class each Sunday. The elders and us bring our investigators and also the recent converts and it´s always a good time. However, yesterday, he couldn´t teach because he had to help out in another class, and asked me to teach as we were about to start the class....I looked up with my mouth open..."um..sure?" ......
I mean it probably wasn´t the best class, that´s for sure, but I was grateful for the opportunity and have learned as a missionary to always be ready for anything! 


I was reading a conference talk this week from Elder L. Tom Perry about Obedience, and wanted to share just a quick little part that called my attention. "Those who solely rely on themselves and follow only their own desires and self-inclinations are so limited compared to those who follow God and tap into His insight, power and gifts." Sometimes, we are prideful and want to  do everything ourself!  If we humble ourselves and ask for the Lord´s hand, I know he´ll reach down to help. I´ve seen him reach down and help, when I kneel in humble prayer, reaching up, asking for His hand. We are His precious children, and loves each one of us individually and knows us :) 

I´m grateful that this weekend is general conference. I´m grateful for the opportunity we have to listen to living apostles and prophets of the Lord. The women´s session on Saturday night was so good, I got to watch it in ENGLISH! What what?! I felt the Spirit incredibly strong and am anxiously waiting for this weekend to come. I encourage each of you to take notes and seek personal revelation. I was grateful I did that just one year ago in the October conference, where I was able to receive an answer about serving a mission. Because I followed that prompting I received during conference, I´m here for 18 months in México, happier than any other time in my life, and I can´t imagine being anywhere else. 

All in all, life is good :) The mission is the best. I hope everyone back home is doing well and I continue to pray for each of you daily! Have a wonderful week!!

Hermana Maki 






No comments:

Post a Comment