Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Last P-day...

Over the past 18 months, I´ve seen a lot of really happy people, and a lot of people who are really suffering. There´s a lot of pain in the world, a lot of things that I honestly didn´t know existed. I´ve seen the consequences of divorces, addictions, disobedience, and pride. I´ve also seena lot of people who pass through big trials many times when it seems that they´re doing just about everything right. Now, my intention is not to focus on the negative, because I´ve also seen how the gospel has blessed and changed many families and many individuals. I´ve seen the power of the Atonement in action. It´s real! I´ve seen attitudes and behaviors change as the doctrine of the gospel is more fullu understood. But I think that one of the most important things I´ve learnd on the mission and I can bear testimony of, is that "it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things." (2 nephi 2:11)

David A. Christensen says "As long as we live in this world, there will always be opposition. Accepting that important truth helps us accept opposition without wondering why or when it will stop. We can then focus on learning from it and perhaps grow a sense of gratitude and glory. It´s a part of life. There´s a purpose in it."

So many people often ask themselves, (and ask the missionaries) "Why do bad things happen to good people?" 
Sometimes, there´s not a perfect answer, but I´ve learned that just about any question can be answered with the scriptures. In 1 Nephi 11:17 it reads, 
 "I know that he loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things." 
I know I have a Heavenly Father who loves me! 
His primary plan is that we grow and learn in this laboratory of life-complete with thorns, thistles, and noxious weeds. Sometimes that knowledge must be enough.
I learned a lot last week from my personal study in Ether 6. I chose to study for a sister in the ward who is going through a divorce. I learned that it was the wind and the waves that helped the Jaredite barges arrive in the promised land. (vs 8) There were "tempest and fierce winds" which helped the barges continue on. Did they get there overnight? No. Actually, it ook 344 days to get there! And as they were "burled in the depths of the sea" they "sang praises unto the Lord and thanked him all the day long." When their journey had ended, they "humbled themselves before the Lord and shed tears of joy." 

Each and everyone of us can apply this wonderful chapter to our lives! I finally get it. FINALLY! 
The adversity, trials, and hardships are what move us forward, help us progress, be humble, and learn how to rely on our Heavenly Father. and then, when we suffer them with patience and make it through, we must humble ourselves before the Lord and thank Him for helping us become stronger and better people.

President Lorenzo Snow said, " for everything you have suffered, for everything that has occurred to you which you thought an evil at that time, you will receive fourfold, and that suffering will have had a tendency to make you better and stronger and to feel that you have been blessed. When you look back over your experiences you will then see that you have advanced far ahead and have gone up several rounds of the ladder toward exaltation and glory. …
“Take it individually or take it collectively, we have suffered and we shall have to suffer again; and why? Because the Lord requires it at our hands for our sanctification” (The Teachings of Lorenzo Snow, comp. Clyde J. Williams [1984], 117–18).
For those we are suffering, who may have suffered, or feel down, just keep going! Don´t give up. Trust in our Heavenly Father. Seek revelation in the scriptures. Know that it´s all part of His plan. All he is showing you is that he wants you to become stronger and better, and sometimes we have to suffer in order for that to happen.
I testify that Heavenly Father lives; He loves us. When we are obedient and strive to know and do His will, He will bless us. I know that the Atonement of Jesus Christ can bring us comfort during times of sorrow, can heal wounded and broken hearts, and can help us become the sons and daughters of God that He would have us become :)
I love each and every one of you!
With love,
Hermana Melody Maki 

No comments:

Post a Comment