Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Riding bikes in Mexico

Last week Hermana Sanchez and I decided that it´s been too long since we´ve been on a good ol bikeride, so on p-day early in the morning we walked over to the paseo verde (a park in our area) and rented bicycles! It was only 10 pesos (less than a dollar) for an hour. So we rode about 15 km and it was quite a blast. We even found a cool wall to pictures by. 

I´m really grateful for each companion that I´ve had on the mission, Last transfer I was really nervous to find out who my last companion would be, but I am so happy to be with Hermana Sanchez. She´s really great, really patient, and likes to work hard but have fun, just like MEEEE. 

Last Tuesday after our district meeting we had to do practices/role plays with other missionaries.  Everything was going just fine until the assistants decided they wanted to be funny. All of a sudden they switched up the groups and put one american with one latino in every group and told us that we had 5 minutes to teach the restoration, in english! It was a complete WRECK. Not because Hermana Estrada doesn´t know english, but because I couldn´t speak! I couldn´t teach, I couldn´t do anything. I opened my mouth and did not make any sense. It was the weirdest thing ever and scared me big time because I know I´m going to come home with broken english. I felt like an idiot. I´m just going to stick to spanish, I like it better, and Preslee, you´ll be excited to hear that I don´t have a super gringo accent. 

We found 5 great new investigadores this week. One of them is Maria Paola, a 19 year old who lives in front of the stake young women´s president. A year ago, she was in a terrible car accident and was in a como for a long time. I think that because of that and all that she has been through, she´s very receptive to the spirit. Although her parents are very catholic and haven´t joined us in the lessons yet (I know they will soon) they´re supportive of her decision to try something new. On Wednesday night she went to the relief society activity in the chapel with us. The sisters had a mini spa. They did facials, massages, and lots of other fun stuff with relaxing music and cute little plants for decorations. She loved it! It made me happy to see that all of the sisters were so nice and helped her feel welcome. So then, she sent us a message on Saturday night saying that she had too much homework to do on Sunday and that she wouldn´t be able to go to church. My companion and I both looked at each other (we were having a family home evening with some less actives) and said "nuh-uh. not happéning." and told her to at least go for an hour, and she did! actually she stayed for two hours and absolutely loved the gospel principles class. We talked about service, and the teacher invited everyone to do one act of service everyday this week and write it down. She even wanted to take a picture with us. 

Alma 29:10 explains how I have felt lately:

10And behold, when I see many of my brethren truly penitent, and coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy; then do I remember what the Lord has done for me, yea, even that he hath heard my prayer; yea, then do I remember his merciful arm which he extended towards me. 

I feel joy to see many of God´s children striving to make changes in their lives, and to also see many of them being bold and courageous to try new things. I think that´s really what this life is about. 

That´s all for this week, know that I love you all!!

Until next week,

Hermana Melody Mak



No comments:

Post a Comment