Wednesday, May 21, 2014

It´s like I´m living in a dream!

Hola everyone!

It feels un poco como I´m living in a dream. This week I told my companion, I still have a hard time believing I´m actually here! Her response, don´t worry Hermana, everyone feels like that in the beginning! :) I love it. I love Mérida, and I´m doing fabulous.

To make my emails hopefully a Little less scattered, I might be kinda weird and follow somewhat of an outline every week because otherwise they are so everywhere. First, Things I´ve learned/ Things that are surprising/ confirmed truths of things I Heard before the misión about mexico/ new or weird things! Ok? ok. Also, I will try and always include a funny story and something spiritual of course :)

First off...6 months ago the first American sisters arrived in our misión, how cool is that? Before that, it was only elders, and of course all of the latinos! It is kinda new for everyone to have White sisters, but the latina sisters are soooo nice to us and beg us to teach them Spanish! I´m teaching my companion a Little and she enjoys it, very hard though for them to learn.

Ok, the list will probs be longggg this week. I really learned a lot.

1. I learned just not to ask what I´m eating. We went to the chapel the other night to grab something and they were having a mother´s day party dinner thing, and of course they scooped us up 2 huge plates to take home..So we walked home and ate it right before we planned..I ate it all because I was starving and the part that I liked the most was covered in Green sauce. Immediately after I finished, I looked up at Hermana Tozcano (my companion, she is wonderfullll) and told her that it tasted good but I feel kinda sick. She then said, do you want to know what you just ate? Looking over at her plate realizing she had not eaten hers, of course I said yes...Pig skin. I mean it was good, buttttt I was sick for the next 2 days. I mean sickkk.. Welcome to Mexico Hermana Maki :)

2. Companionships are inspired. I know that President Garcia prays long and hard about who to pair together, and I´m so grateful to be with my trainer, Hermana Tozcano. She is soooo patient, funny, Smart, all of it! Even better? She´s from Mexico, doesn´t know English, so I´m learning LOTS of Spanish and am being forced to speak it and learn how to understand the language very quickly. I´ve come a long way in a week.

3. The people here are the nicest people ever. I can´t count how many presents I received my first week, mostly from investigators, people we meet on the Street. Soap, books, chocolate, etc. It´s awesome. Whether they want to hear your message or not, the people here know we are messengers sent from God and for that reason have tons of respect and love. Of course, they are some crazies, but they´re great too.

4. There are a lot of drunks here, and they always want to hold our hands. It´s prettttyyyy weird. One of our investigators, Jose Luis, has a huge drinking problema and has since he was 12! But, we taught him on Friday night (out on the sidewalk actually) and when we asked him how he felt about the Plan of Salvation, he said "It´s true. I know it´s true."  That moment for me was huge, because I love watching people come to know of the truth and realize that the Atonement can help them completely turn their life around, and Jose Luis realized that during that lesson.
He also came to church yesterday all dressed up and showered, it was fabulous. He can´t drink right now because he just had some teeth pulled and is sick, so we may or may not be praying right now that Jose Luis stays sick...FOREVER. Kidding..but really.

5. New for me: The people here really only eat once a day. We eat a small breakfast in our apartment...study, teach, and then at two we have lunch with a member..and it is HUGE. 2-3 plates full of food, and as a missionary you of course have to eat it all. My 2nd day, I had Enchiladas Yucatecas..and there were 8 on my plate. Talk about a lot of food my friends, but so delicious. And then, dinner doesnt really exist. When we get back to our house at 9, we´ll have a Little something something around 10:00 and then off to bed! Lunch is huge and then holds you over until the next day at two where you prepare to almost die again from so much food.

6. I am going teach an English class every Saturday at the church! Last Saturday was the first one and It is way fun. One thing I love about the people here is that literally everyone is dying to learn English. Our Ward misión leader writes down everything on a Little 3X5 card that he wants to know in English and then I help him. It´s a great missionary opportunity too, we tell everyone in the streets about the class so they´ll come!

I included A picutre of kinda what my área looks like, it´s called García Ginerés in Mérida

I will send more pictures next week, running out of time!



I love you all so much, I love this Gospel, and I´m indeed grateful for each and every one of you in my life! Until next week,

Con amor,

Hermana Maki 

No comments:

Post a Comment