Monday, August 18, 2014

Totes magotes!

Not sure if I already mentioned this, but the latinos in our mission have to learn English, and I LOVE it. We have one hour of language study in the morning. I study Spanish, my companion studies Engish, and we help each other.. but it´s way hard to teach english, so I decided she´s probably just gonna learn slang. This week, I taught her "totes magotes". So everytime I ask her if she wants to do something, like go to the store or eat breakfast with me, for example, she replies, TOTES MAGOTES! with her cute bolivian accent. It always makes my day!! 

This week I went on exchanges with one of the Sister Training Leaders in Mulsay, and it was two days full of hard work, where I was able to learn a lot from Sister De Leon and her example. When we got to her house on Wednesday night, I noticed that there was only one hammock..I awkwardly asked, um, where's your companion´s hammock? She replied, "Oh, she took it with her to your house and thought you were going to bring yours!" Oops. no one told me. So I slept on the ground, without a pillow or blanket. I used my towel as a blanket, kind of.
Lemme tell ya, I´m still catching up on sleep, and that was on Wednesday.

Also, the picture that I attached next to the "Merida" sign of course has a great story as well. Because of the heat, and lack of energy or care in the morning, I hardly ever do anything with my hair or makeup and am learning to just love it. However, yesterday I decided to put on some makeup and my companion told me to curl my hair. so I did! She then proceeded to tell me, "You look like a Temple Square barbie missionary"! Excuse me! (was my response) haha. It was a little funny, and I promised I only hit her once ;)
P.S. Don´t mind the bar in the background..

We had a good week. I began eating chile habanero finally..and am becoming Yucateca because I now put it on everything :)

A lot of different members, including recent converts, worked with us this week and it was great! We had two of our new investigators in the chapel yesterday as well, along with others that we´ve been teaching for a while, something that always brings such a huge smile to my face. When you work hard all week and then they show up on Sunday morning, it makes it all worth it because they´re that much closer to entering the waters of baptism and starting their journey on the path back to our Heavenly Father. I love this work! 

I hope you each have a great week and are taking care of the missionaries in your ward and working with them during the week :) If not, repent and start this week! ;) 

Love you all tons,

Hermana Melody Maki 


No comments:

Post a Comment