Friday, December 12, 2014

Beans & Chile for breakfast...

Wow. sorry to everyone that I didn´t write last week! I ran out of time due to some mission emails that were too long. But, good thing is that today I have lots to say. Lots of randomness...

First thing. I was thinking this week about how before the mission I couldn´t eat a jalapeño, let alone smell one! and now...just about everyday I eat jalapeños, habaneros, cerranos, etc. In the beginning of my mission, I always politely said no to chile, but then little by little my stomach began adjusting, or at least putting up with them. This week was hilarious. Tuesday morning, I made scrambled eggs for Hermana Thomas and I, and added some canned onions and chiles that one of our recent converts gave us! It has onions, jalapeños, habaneros, cerranos, and a ton of other stuff. We had that with beans and french bread...for BREAKFAST. That´s how we eat here in Yucatan..and I LOVE it! Then, Friday afternoon we ate with Hermana Primavera and she made us tacos :) The salsa she put on them was made with pure chile cerrano...super spicy. I loaded it on there and my mouth burned for a couple hours, but it was worth it..until I woke up Saturday morning (early) because my stomach was so upset! I definitely paid the price the next day, but it was sooo worth it. Sometimes we make poor decisions and then don´t think about the consequences, haha.
Point of the story? One day, when my mission is over and I go back home, I hope there are all sorts of chiles waiting on the table, because I can´t eat without them. and tortillas. I was laughing thinking about it this week that we even eat spaghetti with tortillas. instead of forks and spoons here, just use tortillas, so much easier! good stuff.

So, as if that isn´t evidence enough that I´m becoming Yucateca, the second thing would be that I got COLD this week. It got down into the seventies and I had to wear a scarf to church yesterday. With my hair down to keep me warm. I feel a bit ridiculous, but then I see the people here with their mittens and hats, and I fit right in! I wake up cold in the night in my hammock and add more blankets! I don´t know what is happening....

As to our investigators, we were teaching an Hermano a few weeks ago named Hernan, he must be in his late 60´s..and he´s been living with his friend Jesus Orlando, a recent convert in Garcia Gineres. They´re going to open a business together..anyway, everything was going good, but then he basically told us that he wasn´t going to live there and was just going to work there and live in his house (outside of our area) so we had to let him know that we wouldn´t be able to teach him. We were sooooo sad...but guess what happened??
He let us know this week that yes, he IS indeed going to live there, mainly because he wants to be a part of this ward. He loves the people here and can´t imagine going to another chappel. He talked to the bishop about it and agreed to just live here, since nobody else lives with him in his other house on the other side of Merida. Long story short, he´s getting baptized in the 29th, along with Monica and Northon, and he is soooo excited. When we talk about his baptism, he looks like a little kid on Christmas morning..He´s so exicted and ready to make this change in his life. I imagine that converts do feel that way. Like it´s Christmas morning, such a happy time full of smiles and joy. They are leaving an old life behind and being re-born, receiving forgiveness of all their past sins and transgressions. To be a part of this process is such a blessing, and strengthens my testimony each day. Without a doubt in my mind, this is THE true church upon the earth, led and guided by a prophet of God under the direction of Jesus Christ. 
How do we sum it all up? I´m adjusting to Yucatan, happier than ever,my testimony being strengthened each new day, and finishing up what I think will be my last transfer in Garcia Gineres. Gonna finish here with a bang! 
I love each and every one of you and always pray for you back home :)

With much love,

Hermana Melody Maki

Fotos--site seeing last week in Paseo De Montejo after our adventure to Walmart.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment