Friday, April 17, 2015

I´m so spoiled!!

One of the MANY things that I love about Yucatecos is that they are very giving.
They don´t let you leave their house without taking something with you.
We almost always arrive at our apointments late because everytime we finish a lesson we hear, "Wait, sisters! I´m going to make some horchata." or "hold on! We´re going to get the ice cream out." Whether they be people with money, or people with hardly anything. they give us everything they have. They spoil us! Last tuesday night, I could barely climb up the steps to get on the bus because my hands were so full. When we got home, I realized we had a full watermelon, a kilo of tortillas, two liters of orange juice, and three tamales. ONE DAY. The members here are so great. So so great. Please spoil the missionaries in your wards. They´re a long way from home, they walk a lot (ok, maybe those in the U.S. don´t) but I´m sure they´re working hard and appreciate everything that you guys do for them :))

We´ve got some interesting investigators these days. We are teaching an atheist, the third one that I´ve gotten to know on the mission. His name is Armando, and he´s one of the nicest guys I´ve ever met! He believes that we came from  monkeys. I enjoy listening to his crazy ideas and trying to help him understand the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It´s not easy, but I´ve been studying a lot for him during my personal studies in the morning, and little by little we´re getting there. What I like about him is that he´s very open and willing to listen and investigate. I studied the story about Korihor, the anticrist, in the Book of Mormon to help prepare for our first lesson with him, and it was awesome because I was able to form some inspired questions from that chapter, and from the way that Alma taught him. Unfortunately, I was not able to give Armando a sign, like Alma did by striking Korihor dumb, but that´s okay, Maybe next time.

I´ve been studying lots of conference talks these past couple weeks during any extra time I can find at night or on p-day, and I really enjoy the talk from Elder Jorg Klebingat from October of last year.  It applys perfectly to the week that I´ve had…He says,

"Accept trials, setbacks, and “surprises” as part of your mortal experience. Remember that you are here to be proved and tested, “to see if [you] will do all things whatsoever the Lord [your] God shall command [you]”(Abraham 3:25)—and may I just add, “under all circumstances.” Millions of your brothers and sisters have been or are being thus tested, so why would you be exempt? Some trials come through your own disobedience or negligence. Other trials come because of the negligence of others or simply because this is a fallen world. When these trials come, the adversary’s minions begin broadcasting that you did something wrong, that this is a punishment, a sign that Heavenly Father does not love you. Ignore that! Instead, try to force a smile, gaze heavenward, and say, “I understand, Lord. I know what this is. A time to prove myself, isn’t it?” Then partner with Him to endure well to the end. Spiritual confidence increases when you accept that “often trials and tribulations are allowed to come into[your life] because of what [you] are doing right”

Something that I´ve said once and will gladly repeat, is that one of the reasons I´m so grateful to be here in the mission is because I´m learning why Heavenly Father gives us trials and weaknesses, and how to handle them. They have always existed and always will, and our necessary for our eternal progress. Have you ever thought about the fact that sometimes trials and tribulations come into your life because of what you are doing right? I know it´s true, and if we can accept that, it can help us understand and push through them! I told my mission president today in my email, "President, this hasn´t been the easiest year of my life, but it sure has been the best one." I feel that way because I´m learning more every day, I´m coming to know my Savior. I´m being blessed beyond what I could ever imagine, and I feel a happiness that is inexpressible.

Until next week! Sigan con fe en cada paso.
Con amor,
Hermana Maki

No comments:

Post a Comment