Friday, April 17, 2015

Panuchos and cochinita in the same WEEK!

This week we ate panuchos twice and cochinita as well, my two favorite yucateca foods! It took a little while to get adjusted to the food here, but now I LIVE for it! Hermana Yolanda, the secretary in Relief Society, signed up to feed us 4 times this past week! She told us that she needed the blessings that the Lord brings to her and her family from feeding the missionaries. That really touched my heart. Whenever we enter her house, she always has hymns playing in the background, and I enjoy being there in her home, because it helps me feel the Spirit. I want to have a home like her´s someday.
This week, we met a new less active sister in our ward who is in her 70´s and recently broke her leg. She left church early to go buy pan dulce, and fell down when she was getting off the bus. She knew she shouldn´t have broken the sabbath day! (It´s tempting for the member´s because one of the best panaderias in town is in front of the chappel) Anyway, I asked her when she´s going to be able to make it back to church, and she told me..."Hermanita, I´m going to the doctor this week, and if they don´t take this cast off, I´m gonna cut it off and walk myself to church on Sunday!" Yucatecos. Oh how I adore them. I took a picture of her in her traditional yucatan dress (hipil) chilling in her hammock (that she made).

We´ve been teaching English on Friday nights in the chapel, and inviting members to come and bring their nonmember friends. something that I LOVE about Mexico is that everyone wants to learn English, more so when It´s gratis! (free!) We sang "Families can be together forever" to begin the class, and even looking down at my english hymnbook, I sang the first line in spanish, and then realized what was going on when my companion started laughing hysterically. Quickly I switched to english and sang the hymn. I am forgetting a lot of english these days. It´s happened on multiple occasions that I say the prayer in english when we´re in our house, forget some words, and she has to correct me or tell me what the word is that I´m trying to say. How embarassing! 

That´s my news this week from Mexico! I love you all :)

Fe en cada paso,

Hermana Maki 

picture #2 A nice little iguana that we crossed paths with this week while walking through the park in our area. My companion yelled, "Look at that dinosaur!" 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment