Friday, June 26, 2015

Be thou Humble...

"The man with much finds it easier to forget his dependence than he who must ask with each suceeding day of need." (Jesus the Christ)
I don´t have much, and I think life is easier that way. That´s how Christ lived, right? 
Humility. That´s one of the atributes of Christ I am trying to work on during this time that the Lord has given me to be a full-time missionary. I don´t ask Him in my prayers for money, for a car, or for less heat..I just ask for strength to keep going each day, and for the ability to keep a positive attitude and love each of His children here that I am serving. 

Many of the people here don´t have much either, and that´s why they are such faithful, humble people, because they must plead with the Lord each day to help them. Hermana Wendy, our investigator who is doing great, told us that 6 years ago when she first started going to her alcohol group, she was one of the meanest people ever. She said that missionaries came by one time (because her husband is less active) and she threw water at them and told them never to come back. (It´s so hot here that I´m sure they loved it though...she didn´t know she was doing them a favor!) haha
But really, we´re seeing the Atonement change her life. We taught about tithes and fast offerings this week and she is exicted to begin paying them! We also taught her (with the primary president, who is fabulous) about the Law of Chastity and the importance of dressing modestly, and for the first time in three months she wore a blouse with sleeves on it to church yesterday and a skirt down to her knees! Progress..little by little :) I feel as happy as could be!!

It got "cold" for a couple days this week because a cold front came in, and it was the best thing ever. For two full days we didn´t sweat and I actually had to use my blanket to sleep. However, my companion got sick and now has a terrible cold because it was such a quick switch in weather, and when one companion gets sick, the other one shortly follows..so we should have a pretty fun week! (with two day exchanges planned as well) woop. woop.

We got a call on Friday afternoon that our ward mission leader is in the hospital in very critical condition. He has asthma and had some sort of attack similar to a heart attack..He has a 20% of living, so all I can do is ask each of one you to include him in your prayers, please! Hermano Freddy is his name. He got baptized a little over a year ago, didn´t believe in God before he met the sister missionaries, and just went through the temple two weeks ago. 

I was on exchanges last tuesday in our area with Hermana Galvez, a new sister in the mission and as we were walking home we got really hungry and decided to stop by and see Hermano Omar. Him and his wife sell tamales a few blocks from our house every night from 7 pm on..and we stopped by to chat with them for a minute..halfway through our conversation he asks, "You sisters want a tamale to take home and share?" and of course we said YES! After we finished planning, I opened up the bag to find 6 tamales and a tomato salsa to put on top. I come to love Yucatecos more and more each day. They are such loving, giving people. Even Wendy, who has absolutely nothing, not even purified water for her kids to drink, gave us two dannin yoghurt things after our lesson on Wednesday. Even though it caused me a ton of pain later  because of my wonderful milk allergy, I eagerly gulped it down because you just can´t turn down such humble people giving you what little they have. They honestly amaze me, and HUMBLE me. 

We´re looking forward to another great week and pray for the same for each one of you!
I love you all! :)

Hermana Melody Maki

Pictures--
1. New friends we made on our trail run the other morning!
2. Hermana Bailey and I on our walk to church :)
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment