Friday, June 26, 2015

Who would´ve thought that Elder Bednar knew some spanish?!

I had a ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUITY this week to be in a 3.5 hour meeting with Elder Bednar! He took a little trip down to Mexico and spoke to the whole mission. When he was asking questions, he kept calling on elders and then he goes, "Now sisters, if you raise your hands I will always give you first preference over the elders!" So I raised my hand and answered, and I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Anyway, I can´t really share or copy down what he said, because he encouraged us to listen to the spirit more than to his words, so I really don´t remember all that much of what he said. He told us to put our notebooks away and not write down word for word notes because we would never use them again and eventually lose them, it was hilarious! But true...
He began by giving some "guidelines" for the meeting. "I will not play ´guess what I´m thinking´ when I ask questions. I will not ask you to stand up and tell me what three things we promise to do when we´re baptized. Because you´d be standing in front of an apostle of the Lord, freeze up, forget, and get embarassed! I WILL NOT ask hard questions," he said. He sent us three talks to study about three weeks ago and asked questions about what we learned from them and then expounded on that. It was FABULOUS.
I was sitting in my hammock a few weeks ago talking to Hermana Bailey about how excited I was to see another apostle in the mission and what a privelege it would be, when I felt the strong impression that we really needed to prepare ourselves spiritually for this meeting so that we could get the most out of it, rather than just show up. I was reminded of the good 6 weeks of preparation that I put into general conference a while back when I then received the answer to serve a mission.. Because I had prayed, fasted, and studied the words of the prophets, I had questions in mind and received revelation that forever changed my life....and the exact same thing happened this last Friday. I don´t think I have EVER in my life felt the spirit as strong as I did during that meeting. I had questions answered that I didn´t even know I had! First time that has happened to me. 
Something that touched my heart was one of the stories he shared, and this one I think I will remember forever. During the week that he was here, they were notified of  some members in the area where they were with a young baby who was veryyyyy sick and was in need of a blessing. They called the family and Elder Bednar asked the father if he had given his baby a priesthood blessing, and he said yes. Elder Bednar then explained to them that he couldn´t give a better blessing than the father had done, and that they both held the same priesthood. He holds more keys, but it´s the same priesthood in regards to a blessing, right? Because of the tightness of their schedule with back to back meetings, they weren´t able to make it out to see the family. There just wasn´t time...the next day they had a meeting in one of the nearby wards, and as Elder Bednar finished his talk and walked out, he shook hands of a few members. He saw a mother, holding a young baby, but that the baby was covered in a blanket. He walked over to the young mother, asked if he could see her baby, and simply put his hand on his head, and then left the chapel. When they got into the van, his translator asked him how he knew that THAT was the baby,,and he simply responded....."I didn´t." 
The Lord works in mysterious ways, and my testimony has been strengthened of the way the Lord speaks to his servants, the apostles and prophets. I know that they are called of Him to lead the church under the direction of Jesus Christ. Something that impacted me was that while he was telling the story, speaking perfectly fine, not even choking up, his translator right next to him could hardly speak. He was doing all he could to translate and keep speaking so that the Latinos could understand, but you could tell that he, as well as each one of us, fetl the spriti incredibly strong throughout the whole meeting.
It was a wonderful week to say the least, one that I won´t forget.
Today were transfers, but Hermana Bailey and I are staying together in Madero. They took the elders out so now we have the whole ward and a MUCH bigger area. We´re excited! We´re gonna stay busy and get to work with the investigators and awesome members over here.

That´s it for this week :) 
les amo!

Hermana Maki

Photos- meeting wtih Elder Bednar. I´m the tall one on the far right by the window.
2- trying a new fruit called "maracuya" that comes from Brazil! Some awesome investigators always make juice for us when they can get ahold of the fruit. I liked it so much I drank 4 glasses...or 5. 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment