Friday, June 26, 2015

Sleeping in bunk beds!

I know that  "angels are declaring it unto many at this time in our land; and this is for the purpose of preparing the hearts of the children of men to receive his word at the time of his coming in his glory." (Alma 13:24)
The Lord IS preparing HIS children to receive the fullness of the Gospel. This week while walking over to the farthest part of our area, we decided to contact a lady who was outside washing clothes in 5 gallon buckets like any old Yucateca. We asked her if we could help her and she politely said that she was finishing up. We talked to her for a little while through the fence and then she let us come in..however, it´s rare for people to let us into their house, so we sat out on the patio. I know it wasn´t any coincidence that she had a little table out there and four chairs around it! We sat down and got to know her a little better. Her name is Maria, her mom passed away a year ago, she´s married but has never been able to have kids. She feels sad and alone, and suffered from depression for a long time. My companion and I were both on the same page and felt that we should teach her the Plan of Salvation. I asked her, "Maria, have you ever wondered where you came from?" "no," she said. "Ok, have you ever wondered why you´re here on this earth?" "no" she responded..."Have you ever wondered where we will go after this life?" Her eyes got big, super big, and she quietly said, "YES! Now that I have asked many times..do you have the answer?" So we sang a hymn, she felt the spirit and had tears rolling down her face, and we taught her the plan of salvation out there on her little patio. As we began with the premortal life and we taught her a little about the war in heaven, she looked dumbfounded and just asked, "wait, so I chose God´s plan?" She understood EVERYTHING..As we taught her about the Atonement, her eyes watered again, and as we read in Alma 7 with her, I asked her how it made her feel to know that Christ suffered everything that she´s feeling and suffering. "Knowing about the Atonement know just helps me know and feel that I´m not alone." So then we went back on Thursday and told her that if she needed help washing that we really would help her. We got there at 3:30 and she had 5 buckets out there again full of clothes. "hermanas! I thought you had forgotten about me! I´m so glad you´re here!" that time she let us help her, so we got all the clothes washed and hung up and then she goes, "that was so much more fun with 3 people, wasn´t it?" she´s so cute. It amazes me how fast she´s learning and how excited she is. She couldn´t go to church yesterday because it was voting day and she was working with one of the political groups, but she told us she´s excited to go this Sunday. I could tell from the begininning that she has definitely been prepared to receive the gospel. She acepted a baptismal date for July and is  so eager to learn more and more. I´m grateful that the Lord led us to her that day.
She told us that her fantasy is to go to the U.S, and see what it´s like..
I´m gonna have to take her someday! :) Everyone here just wants to know what it´s like. I think we don´t really understand how blessed we are to live in the United States. For me, it took coming to another country to open my eyes and really realize all that the Lord has given us. 
our other investigators are also doing well- 2 of them still have to get married before they can get baptized which is always a blast! We´re finding great new people each work and the work continues on. 

other news: Last week we were in a trio for a week because one of the sisters who is going to train was waiting for her companion to get here from Argentina, there have been lots of visa problems as usual. She worked with us for a week but it was hilarious having all three of us in our house because it´s tiny, and the room we sleep in is not big enough for three hammocks, so we had to make a hammock bunk bed, I slept underneath Hermana Bailey. It was pretty hot and I woke up on the floor in front of the fan with my pillow.....but I was so tired that I slept nonetheless. 

That´s it for now!
Les amo :)

Hermana Maki 

Photos:  1) bunk beds
2) in trio with Hermana Mejia escaping the rain. It rains sideways here, so our umbrella didn´t do us much good in the end. We got soaked. super soaked. 



No comments:

Post a Comment