Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Another amazing week flies by! Each day here is so full. full of work, and full of smiles. we have been receiving lots of referalls in the last two weeks. we have been trying to contact all of them but sometimes just can`t find the time when we`re running (sometimes literally running) from one appointment to another. We have 23 received referalls that we have yet to contact that could potentially turn into investigators, talk about work! Lemme tell ya, we are busy and that is how I like it!  I don`t think I`ve ever slept so soundly in my whole life.

I have really been enjoying my personal studies this week in Mosiah. I was reading Mosiah 10:10-11 on Friday...
"And it came to pass that we did go up to battle against the Lamanites; and I, even I, in my old age, did go up to battle against the Lamanites. And it came to pass that we did go up in the strength of the Lord to battle. Now, the Lamanites knew nothing concerning the Lord, nor the strength of the Lord, therefore they depended upon their own strength. Yet they were a strong people, as to the strength of men." 
I immediately then wrote this question in my study journal, "How can I work as a missionary in the strength of the Lord and not depend upon my own strength?" I immediately thought of a scripture in Doctrine and Covenants that reads, 

"And now, verily, verily, I say unto thee, put your trust in that Spirit which leadeth to do good —yea, to do justly , to walk humbly , to judge righteously; and this is my Spirit."
Instead of trusting in ourselves, we must trust in the spirit, because if we do, the promise is fulfilled that, ".. it shall be given you in the very hour, yea, in the very moment, what ye shall say." (D&C 100:6)

I never have really elegant words or special things to tell the people I teach, but what they need to hear is given to me when I pray for the Spirit and follow the promptings it gives. I`m so grateful for the gift of the Holy Ghost and grateful to be led and guided by him, whether we`re in a lesson or out in the street.

We were teaching a recent convert family who are having family problems, they have three kids, 11, 8, and 7.. but before they were baptized they had a tough life and basically grew up in the streets. The two youngest girls do nothing but fight, and the 8 year old is very rude and continues to swear in front of her parents. We sat down with the whole family and as we began to teach the 3rd lesson, the gospel of Jesus Christ, both my companion and I felt impressed to steer off track for a minute and try something new. We went around the circle and had each child say something that they liked about each of their siblings and their parents, and the parents did the same, they all shared one thing that they liked about each family member. Immediately, smiles came to their faces and the youngest girls gave each other a hug, something that they NEVER do. It was amazing to see the smile on their mom`s face as she saw her kids calm down and show each other a little bit of love, and it brought tears to my eyes as she shared what she loves about each of her children because she was not a very nice momma before she got baptized.
It was a neat experience for me and I invite each of you to do the same during your Family Home Evening tonight! Give each one of your family members a compliment, and watch how everyone immediately feels a calm spirit of peace in the home and an increased love toward your family. I know that the family is ordained of God and that now more than ever we must do all that we can to protect it :))

con amor,

Hermana Melody Maki

No comments:

Post a Comment