Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Singing in the rain

Wow, what a week we had! The zone leaders called last night with our transfers and said that Hermana Martinez and I are staying in Madero! I have 6 months in this ward and looks like I´m going to spend my last 3 here as well, and I couldn´t be more excited. The members here truly are the greatest.
I forgot to take pictures, but Thursday afternoon we were leaving an appointment in the afternoon when it started to POUR. I think I probably wrote a little last summer about how it rains here, it doesn´t rain down, it rains SIDEWAYS. With an umbrella, my whole body got wet except for my face practically. We were both so soaking wet, and we walked 30 minutes through the storm to Memo´s house. Everytime we walked through a street corner it was like taking a step into the dark because the water was midcalf and who knows what was down there in the water. We just walked, and laughed, and sang hymns, and yelled "gracias" to all of the nice bus drivers who drived by splashing water on us :) When we were leaving the appointment and it started to rain, the members told us to stay there and wait it out, that we would get wet and then get sick if we walked through the rain, but we told them that we had another appointent and that the Lord would protect us, we´re HIS missionaries! When we got to Memo´s house (a future missionary) who has been working with us. Him and his sister took us to the appointment in their car even though it was 3 blocks away. Yucatecos do NOT like the rain. We taught Christian, a little girl who´s 9 that is getting baptized this month. We taught her about the plan of salvation and what things we need to do to be able to return to live with our Heavenly Father. We were pretty wet and cold when we got home that night, but it truly was a fun day.

While I was on exchanges this week in Almendros with Hermana Caseco, we went to see an investigator named Jackie, who is going through a divorce. She has a big huge house and is all alone. When we got there at 12:30 she was still in her pajamas and hadn´t eaten, so she got on her phone and ordered lunch. "Can you guys stay and eat with me, please?" 
"no," we responded. "After we finish her we´re going to eat! Don´t worry about us!" 
so she puts her phone up to her ear and orders us lunch and sodas. It was hilarious. "Okay," she said, "let´s talk while the food´s on it´s way. you don´t have an option. You´re eating with me." So we taught her the restoration, she had a ton of great questions, and then we ate. The best part? When we showed up, she said "Sisters, it would be better if you come next week! I´m so behind today and I have so much to do!" So we asked her if we could at least sing a hymn and say a prayer and she goes, "yeah of course!" and it was after that when she invited us to eat. I´ve learned that when the people here say they don´t have time, it´s usually not true. "I don´t have time to listen right now, but stay and eat with us, will ya?" i´m lerarning how they work and how to get their attention and get them to listen. 
I´m grateful for the mission. It´s the greatest! Being a missionary has brought me so much joy and happiness. I know this church is true and is led by a prophet, under the direction of Jesus Christ.

Con amor,

Hermana Melody Maki

Foto 1)- Hermana Martinez and I at zone conference
Foto 2) What´s huckleberry jam doing in yucatan? Thank you Rachel Camp for the awesome package! 



No comments:

Post a Comment